Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Iron Cupcake: July 2009, Entry 1

I'm not, nor have I ever been pregnant (not that there's anything wrong with that) - but I happen to like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. I haven't had one in a long time - probably not since I ate real peanut butter, not Better 'n Peanut Butter (it's really good tho, I promise!).

Well, I found myself with a lot of leftover peanut butter frosting from the birthday cake craziness and the next baking project I had coming up was the July Iron Cupcake challenge. HERBS.



Hmm...you can probably see where I'm going with this. It might seem out there, but I wanted to do a take on the old peanut butter and DILL pickle sandwich. Hence, the Sweet Buttermilk-Dill Cupcake with Peanut Butter Fudge Frosting was born.


The buttermilk and dill aren't overpowering, so the cupcake is still sweet - and the frosting is just damn good (add cinnamon if you're feeling a little crazy!). I even made it with reduced fat pb, but I'm sure the heavy cream made up for it.


I'm going to work on another entry, maybe something with sage...

In the meantime, here are a few tips, since I love tips. I'll post this recipe separately.
  • When working with herbs, start with a little bit and slowly increase to taste - you can always add, but it's hard to pick little bits out of a batter or frosting
  • When working with brown frosting, do not use a large round open decorating tip - unless you want your cupcake to look like you know what! (or, do you think mine still looks like you know what?)

Iron Cupcake info:

I'm competing to win the following prizes. July ETSY PRIZE-PACK is from artists:

Corporate prize providers:

2 comments:

  1. hmmm... you know my feelings about pickles... but that PB frosting was soooo good in the cakes that I just might have to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love dill and peanut butter (even if reduced fat) - never tried them together but am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete