Thursday, November 5, 2009

Rendezvous and Neely's

So far eating in Memphis has been soooo good! I’m not going to go into detail on ALL food….just BBQ. However, I do need to mention that if you are ever driving to Memphis, or down 55, or are ever near Sikeston, MO – you must stop at Lambert’s Café. It’s “home of the thrown roll” and a meal that I’ve never before experienced.

Quickly, a few notes on Lambert’s:

  • You get “free pass arounds” of sides like fried okra, potatoes, beans and literally have piping hot, fresh rolls thrown at you.
  • The servers come around yelling “hot rolls” and carry large bowls of the sides asking if you need more. We weren’t sitting at our table for more than a minute before an onslaught of food starting coming around.
  • Drinks are served in giant thermos type mugs – like a 32 ouncer! (love)
  • I’m pretty sure it was the first time in my life that I ordered chicken and dumplings – yum

On to BBQ. Our first stop was Rendezvous – from which I’ve gathered is probably the most well-known joint in town. We had to walk around the block before we realized that the restaurant was really located in an alley...

Rendezvous, Memphis TN

Attendees: Me and Brad
Food Ordered: Ribs, chopped chicken sandwich, plate of pickles (YES!), baked beans, coleslaw
Review:

  • I did not order the famous ribs – but Brad did. They are smoked with a dry rub - so this is not the place if you are looking for sticky, saucy ribs like you get at Chili’s.
  • I thought that the dry rub/smoky flavor was amazing….but the rib lacked meat and was very dry. But, I’m no rib aficionado - Brad loved it all.
  • At first I thought that my chicken sandwich was just good. But then we were discussing….and tasting again…and slowly had this hidden smoky/roasted flavor hit the back of our throats – I changed my review from good to great!
  • Sauce was a little thin for my tastes, but both the mild and hot and some kick.
  • Bottom line - it’s a must-try if you are in Memphis.

Neely’s BBQ, Memphis TN

Attendees: Me and Brad
Food Ordered: Fried bologna sandwich, BBQ spaghetti, BBQ beans, fries, sliced turkey sandwich
Review:

  • Disclaimer, we did not go to Neely’s just because they have a show on the Food Network. Upon looking at the menu, we decided to go there because they offered a few different options than some of the other restaurants.
  • It’s a true “joint” – nothing pretentious, lots of dark wood and booth space.
  • Brad wanted to go off the grid at this place – so he ordered a thick-cut, fried bologna sandwich topped with cole slaw and sauce and served on Texas toast. I don’t think I’ve seen him eat bologna before, but his plate was cleaned.
  • My smoked turkey sandwich was pretty good – but was even better dunked in a bowl of sauce.
  • The standouts here for us were the BBQ beans with lots of pulled pork in the bowl and strangely enough, the BBQ spaghetti. You just have to try it sometime.
  • Sauce was decent.
  • We were asked if we’d like a drink refill “to go.” Nice – who does that?!

We’re off to Graceland and Sun Studios today - and most likely Interstate BBQ. Maybe I’ll find the amazing sauce that I’ve been looking for there!

No comments:

Post a Comment