Monday, June 22, 2009

Iron Cupcake: June 09 Summer Berries, Entry 1

My first entry ever for Iron Cupcake is a Vanilla Cupcake with Straspberry Filling and Basil-Lime Cream Cheese Frosting. The ingredient theme for June was summer berries, so I combined sweet strawberries and raspberries (i.e., "straspberry") with a light and buttery vanilla cupcake.



I wanted to do something "different" but also something not so "out there" - so the end cupcake would still be appetizing. I tried a few recipes, some including berries in the actual batter, but found that adding the fruit in that way really changed the texture of the cupcake. Those actually ended up tasting more like muffins than cupcakes.


Strawberry and basil is a fairly common pairing, so I figured that would be a natural selection for a lot of people. But, I still wanted to try this route - again, the not so out there route. So, I tried to change things up a little bit by using the basil in the frosting with the lime juice and cream cheese. Also, the filling has a little black pepper and lime juice for a spicy/tangy kick. The vanilla cupcake was the perfect complement to hold up against the flavors of the straspberry filling and fresh, tangy frosting. If you want my recipes, please ask and I'll email them.


I've checked out some of the other entries though and I think I'm up against some tough competition. Stuff like Sichuan Blueberry Pancake Cupcakes and Blackberry Lemon Polenta Cupcakes.

Jeesh...I might have to up my ante next month. Read the next post for my second cupcake entry! And, I'd love to get your votes, of course. :)



Voting details:
Required Iron Cupcake info:

I'm competing to win the following prizes from the following prize providers and sponsors.

Our June ETSY PRIZE-PACK is from artists:


Corporate prize providers:

4 comments:

  1. ok, so i actually got to TASTE the cupcakes and they were seriously the shit. like, amazing. i'm not even sure which one i liked better, but the basil cream cheese frosting had to be my favorite part of the whole experience. but the fruit filling was pretty awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had the wonderful opportunity to taste these cupcakes and they were AMAZING!!!! I shared them with my office and everyone loved them!!! They thought everything from the way they tasted to the way they looked was perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'd love to try your recipe for the "Vanilla Cupcake with Straspberry Filling and Basil-Lime Cream Cheese Frosting"...don't know how to contact your privately to give ya my e-mail address though...
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette I posted the recipe above!

    ReplyDelete