Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Iron Cupcake Chicago - Candy

The theme for September's Iron Cupcake Chicago was candy. I was initially really excited about this and had lots of ideas spinning around my head. Ultimately, I got busy, put the creating off and ran out of time to do something truly amazing.

I tried two options - one of which involved the below...

Yes, that's right - Pixie Sticks! Sounds fun, right? I have to admit, this idea originally stemmed from Brad's co-worker - thank you Traci!

However, it didn't completely work out. The idea? Use Pixie Sticks in place of sugar in the recipe. I mean, its all sugar, right?

Well, to say they were tart would be an understatement - and the cupcake came out really compact. Not totally horrible, but definitely unique. Not pretty enough to take pics of.

What I ended up going for the actual "competition" was a Candy Corn Cupcake. Basically a yellow and orange tinted vanilla cupcake with caramel buttercream.

I used a Cake Bible recipe that I've made a bunch of times - but I think the coloring, extra mixing (and maybe I put too much baking powder?) made the cupcakes come out too dry. I know, its sad. But, at least the yellow/orange layering came out OK and the caramel buttercream from Martha was delish.


Um, the actual Iron Cupcake "event" was interesting...

First of all, I went completely alone. I'm comfortable with myself, I didn't think the aloneness would be horrible - but, I was soon desperately wishing that maybe at least Brad would have been there. THEN, I realized the more people you had with you -rooting for you - and voting on your cupcakes would make a huge difference. Duh.

The person that won was at a table of 20 friends and family. I was at a table of 1.

But, seeing as how the event location is seriously in the middle of nowhere, (at least for me and my friends) not near public transportation, and at 6 p.m. on a weekday - makes it hard for me to muster a large crowd to come support me.

It remains to be seen if I will participate again. Maybe some suggestions about the time and place wouldn't hurt? Hmmm...

1 comment:

  1. I love the candy corn idea! I would TOTALLY come support you if Iron Cupcake was in NYC :)

    ReplyDelete