Saturday, April 18, 2009

Musings on a Gastropub

We finally ate at this restaurant that we've been wanting to try out. It's had a lot of hype and the first time we tried to go there was a two-hour wait--and they don't take reservations (what's up with that?). Last night there was only a one-hour wait so we had some drinks and fancy cocktails (categorized on the menu by the minutes it took to make them...) and actually had a table in the bar. Wine didn't have a "time" but my glass still took 10 minutes.

I think I was more excited about this place before we ate there. But, I don't really want to do a restaurant review - I just want to talk about the fact that I tried bone marrow and goat brain.




Yes, those of you that know me know that I don't really eat meat - but, I felt compelled to try these delicacies that so many foodies rave about. Oh, and the hubs was adamant about ordering these dishes.

I only tried a little marrow - and to be honest I think I liked the onion jam better than the actual marrow. It looked pretty funky to me, but Brad was ALL about it. I mean, the guy did used to eat the gristle off of his steak as a child. I guess some things never change...

As for the "goat brain" this was supposed to be the filling in a ravioli - and I can't believe I'm saying this - but, there probably could have been more brain in there. It tasted like cheese ravioli to me, which is fine, but I wish I could have tasted something more distinguished so I could share my reaction. Unless goat brain is supposed to taste like cheese?




3 comments:

  1. okay, you guys are adventurous! I think I'd be down for the marrow (like B i used to eat the gristle). But the brain trial I have new found love and admiration for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you for giving it a try! what restaurant was this??

    ReplyDelete